Definition of bookmaker in English:
A person who takes bets (especially on horse races), calculates odds, and pays out winnings.
- UK bookmakers, casinos and betting shops make billions of pounds every year.
- The most popular bet is on first goal scorer but it's a typical bookmaker taking bets on horse racing and other sorts of shenanigans too.
- And the major bookmakers have cut the horse's price after sustained backing from punters in recent days.
- Example sentences
- There are around 8,200 betting shops in UK so bookmaking is a substantial business, important to the British economy.
- Forbes would list some if their core business were not gambling and bookmaking.
- The company said it wants to move spread betting away from bookmaking and geared toward private investors and small institutions.
Words that rhyme with bookmakertroublemaker
Definition of bookmaker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.