- We danced down the craggy coast and ducked into Robin Hood's Bay, the former home to gangs of marauding smugglers who would steal booty from ships wrecked on the treacherous offshore rocks.
- Between 1799 and 1814, when the collection was augmented by artistic booty seized in the wake of Napoleon's military victories, the Louvre was the greatest museum of Western art in history.
- Others were seized as war booty and fell into the hands of collectors who valued them but were often at a loss to understand what they were or who had created them.
- Founders Ernst Malmsten and Kajsa Leander begin spending their venture capital booty.
- The booty includes free massages, four tickets to see the Pixies, and a glossy 8 x 10 photo of Amy Grant.
- Started by four hard-core believers in nature's booty and its goodness, Green Life aims to reintroduce nature to people around.
late Middle English (denoting plunder acquired in common and destined to be divided among the plunderers): from Middle Low German būte, buite 'exchange, distribution', of uncertain ultimate origin.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
noun (plural booties)North American informal
- It seems the bottom - or rather, the booty - has dropped out of the hip-hop market.
- It's true that Scott Hall had all the skills to become world champion, but he probably lacked the self-control to actually carry the belt and put booties in the seats for any length of time.
- I have to say that I strongly disagreed with fixing the one young woman who had a big booty.
1920s: probably an alteration of the British word botty, a child's term for a person's buttocks.
shake one's booty
- Dance energetically.Example sentences
- ‘Yeah, but that's about your spirit dancing, not shaking your booty.‘
- He explodes on the scene uttering rapper lingo and shaking his booty on the dance floor.
- She cuts her hair, borrows some un-beige clothes from Suzette, and goes dancing and drinking, shaking her booty with the rest of the kids at some Phoenix hot spot.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.