1Any of the slave states that bordered the northern free states during the US Civil War. See also Border States.
- Coming from the border state of Kentucky, Clay hoped desperately to avoid a civil war.
- A few days ago I mentioned how Kentucky congressional candidate Ben Chandler had endorsed Wes Clark and how Clark supporters were pointing to this as a sign of Howard Dean's unpopularity in the South, or in this case, a border state.
- Barnes finds collective significance in state-wide Republican victories in a liberal west coast state, a moderate border state, and a conservative deep south state.
1.1A US state that borders Canada or Mexico.
- And, of course, that relationship, the United States' relationship with Mexico, is a very, very important relationship for us, especially, having always lived in a border state.
- White House officials says the president's plan closely tracks proposals already put forward by Republican Senator John McCain and other Republicans from the border state of Arizona.
- That would be troubling to the president who, as a former governor of a border state, understands and appreciates the roles that immigrants and undocumented aliens play in our society.
1.2A small country that borders a larger, more powerful country or that lies between two larger countries.
- Some news outlets that were once government mouthpieces are now more independent, especially those in the northern border states.
- If the Congress has to remain relevant in this border state, the Congress high command will do well to weigh the options clearly before it can think of some strategy for the Haryana Vidhan Sabha elections.
- The border state of Punjab, too, deserves packages and incentives available to Jammu and Kashmir, Bihar, Arunachal Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh, etc.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: bor·der state
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.