The chemical element of atomic number 5, a nonmetallic solid. (Symbol: B)
More example sentences
- The mineral elements most likely to be deficient in vineyards are nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, boron, iron, manganese, and magnesium.
- The smaller element may be a nonmetallic element, such as boron, carbon, nitrogen, or silicon.
- Zinc is in solid solution; boron, titanium and zirconium are seldom added in amounts sufficient to produce visible compounds.
early 19th century: from borax, on the pattern of carbon (which it resembles in some respects).
- More example sentences
- Some clues can be found in erbium rhodium boride and holmium molybdenum sulphide—the superconductivity of both these materials is destroyed by the onset of a first-order ferromagnetic phase transition.
- Either calcium boride or lithium should be plunged into the molten bath to deoxidize the melt.
- Possible ceramics for such armours are: Boron carbide, Silicon carbide, Aluminium oxide, or Titanium boride.
Definition of boron in:
- The British & World English dictionary