Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of boss-cocky in English:
noun (plural boss-cockies)Australian /NZ informal
1A farmer who employs labour.
- Variations developed, such as cow-cocky to describe dairy farmers, and boss-cocky, which originally referred to the owner of a large station but later came to mean anyone in authority.
- Piech's position as boss-cocky will be taken by Bernd Pischetsrieder next month.
- Because they are deluded by a sense of their own goodness and are fearful of other person's freedom, they want to be boss-cockies, or Big Brothers.
1.1A person in authority.
- The queen's position as boss cocky is determined by the Constitution.
- After he left Junee he ended up as boss cocky of Nevada State pen.
- Liz remarks that Karen Fox sees herself as Boss Cocky, eh?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.