1(Of an aquatic organism) dwelling on or near the bed of the sea, a lake, or other body of water.
- From the same family as rays, skates are bottom-dwelling fish usually found in shallow coastal waters.
- Sphyraena barracuda will feed on both bottom-dwelling species as well as species of the higher water column.
- Marine gobies are typically bottom-dwelling fish that live in shallow water.
- Example sentences
- Juveniles, especially in the territorial bottom-dwellers, often possess different, brighter colors than adults of the same species.
- A marine family, clinids are mostly bottom-dwellers.
- During feeding, hordes of acanthurids descend on the reef so that attempts by bottom-dwellers to defend their territory are thwarted.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of bottom-dwelling in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.