Definition of bottom feeder in English:
1An aquatic creature that feeds at the bottom of a body of water.
- These fish are primarily bottom feeders and are aided in food finding by sensitive sensory papillae on their lips.
- Some swellsharks are sluggish bottom feeders that prey on dead or sleeping fish or crustaceans.
- For the most part cryptically marked bottom feeders, many clinids change color near spawning time.
2North American informal Someone who profits from things cast off or left over by others.
- In effect, the company has been taken over by its bankers who have signalled that they are not always prepared to sell off ailing investments for a pittance to the bottom feeders now gorging themselves on the corpses of failed companies.
- Question is: will the mobile operator launch with a Vodafone Lite brand - or trawl for bottom feeders with a virtual mobile operator in tow?
- His was a bottom feeder bargain basement operation.
Definition of bottom feeder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan