Definition of bottom fish in English:
A species of fish, such as flounder, that is a bottom feeder.
- They finished lunch, then went aft, Jim to once again sit beside the pole he'd set in search of some bottom fish, and Blair to sit lotus-style on top of the transom facing him.
- In the late 1980s more than a million bottom fish died in the American state of New Jersey's Raritan Bay.
- Walleye pollock, more than half of all Bering bottom fish, are harvested in the world's largest single species fishery.
verb(bottom-fish) Back to top
1Fish for species that are bottom fish.
- Six pinks later - the limit for this species - Anderson heads back inside the strait to bottom fish the tide rip off Tatoosh with homemade metal treble hook jigs.
- That extra involvement seems to differentiate fly fishing from spin casting, using a spoon for example, or bait fishing, sometimes called bottom fishing.
- Preferred fishing methods are trolling with lures or baits, bottom fishing, jigging, chumming, and spin casting.
1.1Make profits from investments that are of low value or out of favor.
- ‘We don't participate in auctions; we don't bottom fish,’ said Larsen of Goodrich's philosophy toward acquisitions.
- Assume that Burstein is right about all of these things - that venture capital will be equal parts merchant banking, bottom fishing, and financial engineering.
- It might be a place where bottom fishing is a clever strategy rather than greenfield developments.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan