Definition of boubou in English:
1 (also boubou shrike) An African bush shrike with the upper parts mainly blackish in color. It is noted for the duet of bell-like calls produced by the male and female together.
- Genus Laniarius, family Laniidae: several species, in particular the tropical boubou (L. aethiopicus) and the southern boubou (L. ferrugineus)
- The heavy air vibrates with cooing of doves and the creaking-gate single note of the tropical boubou.
- The best-known and best-studied duettists are certain African shrikes, notably the tropical boubou shrike Laniarius aethiopicus.
2A long, colorful, loose-fitting garment worn by both sexes in parts of Africa.
- Guineans have made an art form of boubous, garments which they slip over their heads and wear over matching pants.
- In more traditional settings, people wear boubous, loose-fitting cotton tunics with large openings under the arms.
- It consists of draw-string trousers, a long-sleeved loose-fitting shirt with an open neck, and a boubou (long, full robe).
Definition of boubou in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan