Definition of boubou in English:
1 (also boubou shrike) An African bush shrike with the upper parts mainly blackish in color. It is noted for the duet of bell-like calls produced by the male and female together.
- Genus Laniarius, family Laniidae: several species, in particular the tropical boubou (L. aethiopicus) and the southern boubou (L. ferrugineus)
- The heavy air vibrates with cooing of doves and the creaking-gate single note of the tropical boubou.
- The best-known and best-studied duettists are certain African shrikes, notably the tropical boubou shrike Laniarius aethiopicus.
2A long, colorful, loose-fitting garment worn by both sexes in parts of Africa.
- Guineans have made an art form of boubous, garments which they slip over their heads and wear over matching pants.
- In more traditional settings, people wear boubous, loose-fitting cotton tunics with large openings under the arms.
- It consists of draw-string trousers, a long-sleeved loose-fitting shirt with an open neck, and a boubou (long, full robe).
Definition of boubou in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.