noun (plural boules pronounced same)
- A metal ball used in the French game of boules, a form of lawn bowling played on rough ground.More example sentences
- My own choice would include a game of boules, their magnificent double hammock and their linen lavender eye pillow to soothe away tension while lying in said hammock.
- The charity Scope is piloting a game for people with cerebral palsy called bocce, which is similar to the French game of boules.
- Petanque, also known as French boule, is a variation of bowls.
1920s (originally denoting a form of roulette): French, literally 'bowl'.
- A legislative body of ancient or modern Greece.More example sentences
- The membership of the boule (council chamber) was then made up of 50 members of each tribe, elected by lot for a year, and each month the complement of one of the tribes - 50 people - would act as a sort of upper house.
- The boule decrees that the demos shall appoint a select committee.
from Greek boulē 'senate'.