noun (plural bouquets garnis pronunc. same )
- A bunch of herbs, typically encased in a cheesecloth bag, used for flavoring a stew or soup.More example sentences
- The standard bouquet garni is now a bundle of thyme, bay leaf, and parsley; but the composition of the bundle is variable and cooks have their own preferences.
- Add chopped onions, peeled carrots, a bouquet garni made of parsley stalks, leek and celery sticks and a little bundle of thyme all tied up with string.
- Instead I found a pleasing bouquet garni of sage and thyme, solid blackcurrant, plum and complementary Asian spice.
mid 19th century: French, literally 'garnished bouquet'.
More definitions of bouquet garniDefinition of bouquet garni in:
- The British & World English dictionary