adjective & adverb
- (Of written words) from right to left and from left to right in alternate lines.More example sentences
- In the same excavations on Temple Hill, Robinson found a second example of a similar Archaic sacrificial calendar incised, boustrophedon, in the epichoric Corinthian alphabet, this time on a fragmentary lead tablet.
- The first is the back-and-forth meandering pattern known as boustrophedon.
- Etruscan was sometimes written in boustrophedon fashion and sometimes from right to left in horizontal lines.
early 17th century: from Greek, literally 'as an ox turns in plowing', from bous 'ox' + -strophos 'turning'.
More definitions of boustrophedonDefinition of boustrophedon in:
- The British & World English dictionary