- An enlarged part of a nerve fiber or cell, especially an axon, where it forms a synapse with another nerve.More example sentences
- Most synaptic boutons in the mammalian central nervous system are too small to be investigated directly with electrophysiological tools on the single synapse level.
- To determine the latter, methods that stain the terminal boutons are used.
- There is an estimated total of 30000-50000 boutons of different types across the entire surface.
mid 20th century: from French, literally 'button'.
More definitions of boutonDefinition of bouton in:
- The British & World English dictionary