Definition of bowel in English:
- The large intestine or large bowel consists of the colon and the section before the anus, the rectum.
- This misplaced tissue may be found on the ovaries, uterus, bowel, pelvis and abdomen.
- Cancer of the small bowel, the longer, thinner part of the intestines is much rarer.
- But what if someone stood up and admitted whatever he held deep within the bowels of his soul.
- Deep in bowels of the mansion was the epicentre of communication technology and field command.
- He would have to take it deep into the bowels of the earth, for the glorious Garland Battle was about to begin.
Old French bouel has given bowel in English, from Latin botellus ‘little sausage’, from botulus, source of botulism (late 19th century), a form of food poisoning, adopted from German Botulismus, originally ‘sausage poisoning’.
Words that rhyme with bowelavowal, Baden-Powell, disembowel, dowel, Howell, Powell, rowel, towel, trowel, vowel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.