Definition of bowerbird in English:
A strong-billed Australasian bird, noted for the male’s habit of constructing a bower adorned with feathers, shells, and other objects to attract the female.
- Family Ptilonorhynchidae: several genera and species, especially the satin bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus), which decorates the bower with blue-colored articles
- Male bowerbirds construct elaborately decorated bowers (which are not nests, but courtship arenas) and females prefer builders of higher quality bowers as mates.
- Male bowerbirds famously woo females by fashioning elaborate bowers - not nests but U-shaped showplaces with parallel walls of twigs.
- Studies by a scientist at the University of Maryland show that male bowerbirds modify their courtship rituals based on the females' body language.
Definition of bowerbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia