Definition of bowerbird in English:
A strong-billed Australasian bird, noted for the male’s habit of constructing a bower adorned with feathers, shells, and other objects to attract the female.
- Family Ptilonorhynchidae: several genera and species, especially the satin bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus), which decorates the bower with blue-colored articles
- Male bowerbirds construct elaborately decorated bowers (which are not nests, but courtship arenas) and females prefer builders of higher quality bowers as mates.
- Male bowerbirds famously woo females by fashioning elaborate bowers - not nests but U-shaped showplaces with parallel walls of twigs.
- Studies by a scientist at the University of Maryland show that male bowerbirds modify their courtship rituals based on the females' body language.
Words that rhyme with bowerbirdlyrebird • thunderbird
Definition of bowerbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.