Definition of bowfin in English:
A predatory American freshwater fish with a large blunt head and a long dorsal fin. It is able to survive for long periods out of water.
- Amia calva, the only living member of the family Amiidae
- Some of the fish orders with both fresh and saltwater species are the toadfish order, garpike order, bowfin, sturgeon, herring/anchovy, salmon/trout/pike, catfish, clingfish, stickleback, scorpionfish, and flatfish orders.
- This group included a number of lineages, including relatives of today's gars and bowfins.
- A single bowfin (Amia calva; family Amiidae) was also collected at Cross Lake.
Definition of bowfin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.