- 1A player at tenpin bowling, lawn bowling, or skittles.More example sentences
- Plus, league bowlers pattern their styles after their favorite player.
- The bowlers, camogie players and footballers are also in the middle of a busy season so there's plenty going on in the community at the moment.
- Most league bowlers will adjust to the lanes by moving their feet and keeping their target the same.
- 2 Cricket A member of the fielding side who bowls or is bowling.More example sentences
- There are laws which prevent batsmen and bowlers from leaving the field and returning to bat or bowl as they please.
- The bowlers and fielders were quick to remind the other batsmen of their incompetence to bat at this level.
- If a world-class bowler gets on a wicket that suits his kind of bowling he will get wickets.
(also bowler hat)
- A man’s hard felt hat with a round dome-shaped crown.More example sentences
- It turns out that he's gone round the corner to a Victorian market, returning with a carrier bag containing a top hat, a bowler hat and a bright red feather boa.
- He wore a bowler hat, white shirt, trousers and braces like the main character and would become aggressive and menacing when he played the film music.
- His trademark bowler hat and striped waistcoat have been part of his image for most of his enduring career.
mid 19th century: named after William Bowler, the English hatter who designed it in 1850.