plural noun[treated as singular]
1 British term for lawn bowling.
- Other variants such as carpet bowls and indoor bowls have been popular at one time or another.
- It is the role of the shooters to hit and move the cochonnet to their team's advantage, in much the same way as you would move the jack in lawn bowls.
- The Kalbarri Golf Club was founded in 1969 and in 1980, members of the club also installed two greens so that lawn bowls could also be played.
1.1British Tenpin bowling or skittles.
- They and their guests went straight from the marriage ceremony to AMF Bowling, in Keighley, for a game of ten-pin bowls!
- The councillor who strongly supported adding a ten-pin bowling alley and indoor bowls to the Pickaquoy Centre has given up his fight.
- To escape the downpour, they played ten pin bowls at the local alley, after which the rain cleared for a bushwalk on the last day.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of bowls in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.