1A person who takes part in boxing, especially as a sport.
- The highways of boxing are littered with boxers who try to re invent themselves only to end up as road kill.
- He should be working to help boxers from within the sport rather than put himself outside it.
- Daredevil possesses the acrobatic ability of a circus performer and the pugilistic skills of a boxer.
2A medium-sized dog of a breed with a smooth brown coat and puglike face.
- I have the utmost respect for boxers, a breed who put their lives on the line each time they compete.
- On the far left is Lisa, and Art and Luke Stowe with the Irish wolf hound Strider and their boxer Luke.
- Upon arriving at Scootypoof's place, I was really pleased to be greeted by Popeye the boxer dog and one of his favourite toys.
Words that rhyme with boxersponsor • matzo • bobbysoxer
A member of a fiercely nationalistic Chinese secret society that flourished in the 19th century. In 1899 the society led a Chinese uprising ( the Boxer Rebellion) against Western domination that was eventually crushed by a combined European force, aided by Japan and the US.
- Toward the end of the nineteenth century the Boxers, a secret society, emerged in Shantung and blamed China's problems on foreigners, especially the missionaries who had ventured out of the treaty ports and into the Chinese interior.
- The goal of the Boxers, or nationalistic Chinese, was to rid the country of foreigners, thus eliminating foreign intervention and exploitation of China.
- Resentment of foreign influence encouraged the growth of a clandestine society called ‘Fists of Righteous Harmony’, known to Europeans as Boxers from its Chinese name and practice of ritual shadow-boxing.
Definition of boxer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.