Definition of boysenberry in English:
noun (plural boysenberries)
1A large red edible fruit resembling a blackberry.
- It is a brilliant dark ruby wine filled with the aromas of spices and dark ripe fruits like boysenberries and plums.
- Blueberries, blackberries and boysenberries, for example, are at the top of the list, according to researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University.
- My favorite Red Car wine so far, though, is ‘The Stranger,’ which reminded me of a pudding made with ripe blackberries, boysenberries and a hint of blueberry.
2The shrubby plant that bears the boysenberry, which is a hybrid of several kinds of bramble.
- Rubus loganobaccus, family Rosaceae
- ‘The Berry Garden,’ in another area, contains raspberries, boysenberries, huckleberries and gooseberries.
- The boysenberry canes are bursting with bright green leaves and overflowing the square of low trellises behind the old flagstone barbecue.
- Making a large plant, the boysenberry is hardy and extremely resistant to drought.
1930s: named after Robert Boysen (died 1950), the American horticulturalist who developed it.
Definition of boysenberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia