Having a relatively broad, short skull (usually with the breadth at least 80 percent of the length). Often contrasted with dolichocephalic.
More example sentences
- Thylacoleo are highly specialized brachycephalic predators with greatly hypotrophied molar rows and hypertrophied sectorial third premolars.
- In sthenurines the basioccipital plane is above the palatal plane, more markedly so in the brachycephalic species.
- However, we have fossil records that tell us the brachycephalic (short-skulled, short-nosed, flat-faced) dog breeds, which include the Shih Tzu, Pug, and Pekingese originated in Central Asia.
- More example sentences
- The head shapes include brachycephaly (short front to back), scaphocephaly (long front to back), and trigonocephaly (triangular shape).
- The back of the head is slightly flattened (this is called brachycephaly) and the eyes tend to slant upwards.
- To correct brachycephaly both fused sutures are removed and the skull is narrowed and lengthened.
Definition of brachycephalic in:
- The British & World English dictionary