- 1A tall fern with coarse lobed fronds that occurs worldwide and can cover large areas.
More example sentences
- Pteridium aquilinum, family Dennstaedtiaceae (or Hypolepidaceae)
- The other especially weedy fern is bracken, which also unusually for pteridophytes has vessels.
- Penn Common is a rolling meadow of tall bracken, moss and the odd thicket of birch trees.
- With Ian massaging his arm, John collecting handfuls of stones to throw at the snake and Tim stripping the leaflets from a frond of bracken, they made their way through the undergrowth to the small pond.
- 1.1(Loosely) any large coarse fern resembling this.More example sentences
- Many ferns, such as false bracken, leather fern and Pteris cretica, are drought-tolerant once established.
Middle English: of Scandinavian origin; related to Danish bregne, Swedish bräken.
More definitions of brackenDefinition of bracken in:
- The British & World English dictionary