Definition of brackish in English:
1(Of water) slightly salty, as is the mixture of river water and seawater in estuaries.
- Apparently any terrain is suitable as long as it is washed regularly by salty or brackish water.
- All are clad crisply in pre-oxidized copper panels, which are brawn, more than green, though this will change somewhat after winter gales spray the tower with the brackish water of the estuary.
- Although the water was slightly brackish he soon had some excellent results.
1.1(Of fish or other organisms) living in or requiring brackish water.
- Schram considered Paulocaris to be a brackish to freshwater organism and Mamayocaris to be nearshore marine.
- In general, development rate is 1.5 to 2 times slower in freshwater calanoid copepods relative to their brackish or marine counterparts.
- A continuing supply of freshwater from streams entering the lake would have stimulated the growth of algae and other freshwater organisms, resulting in a mix of brackish and freshwater species.
1.2Unpleasant or distasteful: the lighting in the movie is brackish
More example sentences
- The city was also their house, they had a living room of brackish buildings downtown, a dark bedroom in Tlanesburgo, an enviable view in Belvedere, and underground passageways that everyone called the Metro.
- Finally, after what seemed like an age of nervous wriggling and avoiding his careful gaze, she peered up through her fringe, a forest of brackish red quills.
- ‘I dropped 'em off on the beach ’, Duck shrugged, running a hand through his perpetually brackish blonde hair.
- Example sentences
- With each seasonal death of the marsh, some of the carp, crabs, and crayfish succeed in escaping to the brackishness of Sonoma Creek, from which they migrated.
- When used at the table it imparts a slight saltiness without the brackishness or lip cringing effect of other salts.
- These lovely little drum continued to be rather common this summer, possibly due to the increased brackishness in the Tappan Zee.
Words that rhyme with brackishblackish, quackish
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.