- A small parasitic wasp of a family (Braconidae) that is related to that of the ichneumons. Unlike the latter, braconids lay numerous eggs in a single host.More example sentences
- We used the braconid Asobara tabida, a parasitoid of Drosophila larvae, as our model species.
- Because previous studies showed that the Braconidae has a particularly high A-content, we repeated this test for the Apocrita after removing the braconid.
- The eggs hatch and the young braconids feed on the viscera of the hornworm until they pupate as shown in the photo.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Braconidae, formed irregularly from Greek brakhus 'short'.
More definitions of braconidDefinition of braconid in:
- The British & World English dictionary