- An extended object with any given number of dimensions, of which strings in string theory are examples with one dimension. Our universe is a 3-brane.More example sentences
- In M theory, there are also extended objects, but they are called M branes rather than D branes.
- However in this picture, the warping of the brane causes the the graviton to become bound to our brane, so that the graviton wave function falls away very rapidly away in the direction of the extra dimension.
- There are branes to wrap, hierarchies to set, geometry to resolve, supersymmetry to break - a laundry list of processes and transitions that have to be described within in a string theory cosmology.
1980s: short for membrane.
More definitions of braneDefinition of brane in:
- The British & World English dictionary