Definition of breadbasket in English:
1A part of a region that produces cereals for the rest of it.
- Zimbabwe used to be the breadbasket of the region.
- In this context it has already been established that Guyana can be the breadbasket for the whole region.
- Central and Eastern Europe had traditionally been the continent's breadbasket; the region was endowed with rich agricultural land, providing an economic logic for why it should continue to produce and export agricultural goods.
2 informal A person’s stomach, considered as the target for a blow.
- There were no punches landed to the breadbasket during this bout.
- I'd like to put a knee into him, right in the breadbasket.
- This is a classic gnome placement that has a Midwestern sensibility as well as a minimalistic charm that hits you right in the breadbasket.
Definition of breadbasket in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan