Definition of break rank or ranks in English:
1(Of soldiers or police officers) fail to remain in line.
- The colonel told the soldiers to break ranks and gather around him.
- However, they were slowly overwhelmed, and left with no other choice, the soldiers broke ranks and retreated.
- The soldiers would then break ranks and charge, raising their shields like the petals of a blooming flower.
1.1Fail to maintain solidarity: the government is prepared to break ranks with the Allied states
More example sentences
- Some Republicans break ranks with the White House.
- And many have refused to break ranks with tradition.
- Then again, Malcolm, you probably wouldn't want to break ranks with your Fairfax colleagues.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia