1A style of swimming on one’s front, in which the arms are pushed forward and then swept back in a circular movement, while the legs are tucked in toward the body and then kicked out in a corresponding movement.
- I walked away, mentally praising myself for putting in those long hours working on my breaststroke kick.
- There were individual medleys, as well as backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke and freestyle events.
- When I recovered, I headed at a fast breaststroke towards the side, but I got a side cramp.
1.1 (the breaststroke) A race, typically of a specified length or kind, in which the breaststroke style of swimming is used: she won the 200 m breaststroke
More example sentences
- We've had two meets so far and the women's team has won both of them and I've won the breaststroke races.
- She has the fastest time nationally in both the 100-metre and 200-metre breaststroke.
- The captain led the way, winning in the 200 m individual medley and 200 m breaststroke.
- Example sentences
- The two British breaststrokers both qualified for tonight's final.
- These ladies were champion breaststrokers and divers in their youth, dominating national competitions.
- The backstroker is first, the breaststroker is second, the butterflier is third, and the freestyler is last.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of breaststroke in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.