noun (plural breviaries)
- A book containing the service for each day, to be recited by those in orders in the Roman Catholic Church.More example sentences
- The Sarum breviary was reissued and ordered to be used throughout the province of Canterbury.
- I found him surrounded by scores, his breviary in his hand.
- This breviary became the basis for the one most commonly used in Taiwan today.
late Middle English (also denoting an abridged version of the psalms): from Latin breviarium 'summary, abridgment', from breviare 'abridge', from brevis 'short, brief'.
More definitions of breviaryDefinition of breviary in:
- The British & World English dictionary