- 1Concise and exact use of words in writing or speech.More example sentences
- A customer who responds positively to a cleverly worded e-mail may prefer brevity and clarity in voice mail messages.
- By its brevity, that one word expands to fill the scene, and remains as an indelible memory.
- Imagine the exclamatory brevity that space travel writing might bring.
- 1.1Shortness of time: the brevity of human lifeMore example sentences
- The one factor in the movie's favor is its brevity - only 81 minutes, including credits.
- So, in the interest of brevity, here's a quick rundown of what sucked.
- Its refreshing brevity of ten minutes made it a convenient apéritif for the concerto to follow.
brevity is the soul of wit
- • proverb The essence of a witty statement lies in its concise wording and delivery.[from Shakespeare's Hamlet ii. ii. 90]More example sentences
- We're all forgetting that brevity is the soul of wit.
- And since brevity is the soul of wit, I will be brief: GET THEE TO A NUNNERY!
- If brevity is the soul of wit, then Marshall is witless.
late 15th century: from Old French brievete, from Latin brevitas, from brevis 'brief'.