Definition of brevity in English:
1Concise and exact use of words in writing or speech.
- A customer who responds positively to a cleverly worded e-mail may prefer brevity and clarity in voice mail messages.
- By its brevity, that one word expands to fill the scene, and remains as an indelible memory.
- Imagine the exclamatory brevity that space travel writing might bring.
conciseness, concision, succinctness, economy of language, pithiness, incisiveness, shortness, compactness
1.1Shortness of time: the brevity of human life
More example sentences
- The one factor in the movie's favor is its brevity - only 81 minutes, including credits.
- So, in the interest of brevity, here's a quick rundown of what sucked.
- Its refreshing brevity of ten minutes made it a convenient apéritif for the concerto to follow.
shortness, briefness, transience, ephemerality, impermanence
- brevity is the soul of wit
- proverb The essence of a witty statement lies in its concise wording and delivery.[From Shakespeare's Hamlet ii. ii. 90]Example sentences
- We're all forgetting that brevity is the soul of wit.
- And since brevity is the soul of wit, I will be brief: GET THEE TO A NUNNERY!
- If brevity is the soul of wit, then Marshall is witless.
Late 15th century: from Old French brievete, from Latin brevitas, from brevis 'brief'.
Words that rhyme with brevitylevity, longevity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.