Definition of broke in English:
past (and archaic past participle) of break.
adjective[predicative] informal Back to top
Having completely run out of money: many farmers went broke
More example sentences
- Four years ago, my grandmother was on her way to post some money to my sister, a broke single mum.
- Talk of the town is that the way the money is being spent they might be broke by next month.
- It is also true that I have no ideas at all about it and would only have any if I were feeling very broke.
penniless, moneyless, bankrupt, insolvent, ruined, down-and-out, without a penny to one's name, without a cent, without one red cent, without two pennies to rub together;
informal cleaned out, flat broke, strapped (for cash), bust, busted, hard up, stone broke, as poor as a church mouse
go for broke
- informal Risk everything in an all-out effort.Example sentences
- Villa upped their game and went for broke, throwing everything forward in an effort to get back into the match - and it worked.
- Could it be that this enigmatic prince has decided to go for broke and risk avoiding the best bloodline in order to find a new and possibly richer source of equine wealth?
- Recognising the difficulty of defeating the Allies on land, the German leadership decided to go for broke by launching an all-out submarine offensive, regardless of the risk.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it
- informal If something is reasonably successful or effective, there is no need to change or replace it: Stick with the plan! If it ain’t broke don’t fix itMore example sentences
- And absent some kind of explanation, people may remember an old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- Most small businesses, rightly, resist change: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
- I am not a revolutionary, and generally espouse the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India