past participle of break1
- 1Having been fractured or damaged and no longer in one piece or in working order: a broken armMore example sentences
- There's no quick or easy way to clean up a broken bottle of maple syrup.
- Everyone survived but the poor girl has her arm broken and several stitches.
- Last month's dispatches from the olive groves report internationals with broken ribs, broken arms and other injuries.
- 1.1(Of a relationship) ended, such as through infidelity: a broken marriageMore example sentences
- Also, Frank's broken relationship with Brenda leaves something to be desired in the way of resolution.
- Maggie is fleeing a broken relationship when she encounters a teenage girl on the train.
- A broken relationship with a boyfriend dealt a serious blow to her confidence and again was made out to be a major catastrophe.
- 1.2Disrupted or divided: broken familiesMore example sentences
- El Saico's life story is the tale of a struggle to construct an identity in the context of a broken family devoid of affection.
- Obviously, a broken and smaller family has a smaller social network and can offer only limited social control.
- She is sort of my makeshift mom; my makeshift mom in my broken little family.
- 1.3(Of an agreement or promise) not observed by one of the parties involved.More example sentences
flouted, violated, infringed, contravened, disregarded, ignored, unkept
- After thirteen broken peace agreements and fourteen years of brutal war, will this deal hold?
- There are two things they despise: broken promises, and outsiders who try to control their land.
- For the next four years I don't want a bunch of empty and broken promises.
- 2(Of a person) having given up all hope; despairing: he went to his grave a broken manMore example sentences
- Johnny Bonner is one of the broken people of the world but he's kept alive by being part of a river of song, and he needs to share it.
- But he then appeared quite a broken person as he was led away, didn't say any further words.
- Mary was one of those broken people, a life thwarted from what it could be.
- 3Having breaks or gaps in continuity: a broken white line across the roadMore example sentences
- Witness Mr Fogarty an engineer agreed with this, stating that it was not a good place to overtake and that the broken white line was misleading.
- What is the point of painting double parallel, barred white lines down the middle of the road, when a single broken white line has told us for years where the middle of the road is?
- If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
- 3.1(Of speech or a language) spoken falteringly, as if overcome by emotion, or with many mistakes, as by a foreigner: a young man talking in broken ItalianMore example sentences
- He spoke in broken English and claimed to be Italian.
- Han prefers to employ Asian males who can speak broken English.
- In fact it might even pay to speak broken English, perhaps with a Norwegian accent, when striding around ex-British colonies.
- 4Having an uneven and rough surface: broken groundMore example sentences
- Through a slick sheen of soft rain the broken surfaces of the pavement spread out before me.
- Three hours later, we finally shake the sand off our boots onto the broken, rocky surface of Ice Valley.
- Comfort for passengers was good at all times, even on the most broken surfaces, though the ride often feels quite firm.
- Annoying repetition, as likened to a scratched phonograph record that repeats the same brief passage over and over: the words echoed through his head like a broken recordMore example sentences
- She was repeating herself like a broken record.
- But if Chase loves me, why does he keep repeating himself like a broken record that doesn't understand what the words mean?
- She felt like a broken record repeating that story again.
- More example sentences
- ‘If only,’ he sobs brokenly, ‘if only I had taken him out more when I had the chance…‘
- She covered her face with her hands and cried brokenly.
- Apart from sign language, she kept struggling to express herself with her voice, though brokenly and unclearly.
- More example sentences
- But years passed before he fully grasped the greatness of God's love, before he truly dealt with his brokenness and became the man, the husband and the father that God intended him to be.
- A poor neighborhood is visually and fundamentally recognized by chaos, noise, dirt, brokenness and a lack of resources.
- I want to live among the broken, because I too am broken, and I believe it's only in our brokenness that we find freedom and hope.