noun[usually as modifier] Music
- A chord in which the notes are played successively: the second entry is a straight broken-chord figureMore example sentences
- Some hymns have a walking bass line, and almost all have arpeggio and broken-chord patterns.
- Consequently, within almost all of the sonatas there is a wide spectrum of approaches to the keyboard, from strict imitation to the standard classical melody with broken-chord accompaniment.
- There is no trace in their solo sections of the violinistic broken-chord figuration found in the overture.
More definitions of broken chordDefinition of broken chord in:
- The British & World English dictionary