noun (plural bronchi /-kī, -kē/)
- Any of the major air passages of the lungs that diverge from the windpipe.More example sentences
- The tumor frequently extended to the adjacent lung parenchyma, bronchi, visceral pleura, and mediastinal soft tissues.
- The airways (trachea, bronchi, bronchioles) are surrounded by a type of involuntary muscle known as smooth muscle.
- With respect to the lungs, formalin was infused through the trachea or mainstem bronchi until the lungs were normally expanded.
late 17th century: from late Latin, from Greek bronkhos 'windpipe'.
More definitions of bronchusDefinition of bronchus in:
- The British & World English dictionary