- 1A long-handled brush of bristles or twigs used for sweeping.More example sentences
- Many Indian basketmakers were also skilled makers of chair seats, mats, brooms, and scrub brushes as well as wooden trays, bowls, and spoons.
- Brushes, brooms, scrubbing brushes and soap are provided by the owners.
- ‘Students were told to contribute money for the purchase of brooms, mops, brushes and paint for the contest,’ he said.
- 1.1An implement for sweeping the ice in the game of curling.[formerly made of twigs of broom]More example sentences
- A few suggested some places I could store my curling broom.
- The people who are travelling down the ice with their brooms will judge the speed of the ice and keep the skip in touch constantly with how fast they think the rock is travelling, and if it needs to be swept, then they will sweep it.
- The contestants use brooms to sweep a path on the ice for a sliding stone.
- 2A flowering shrub with long, thin green stems and small or few leaves, that is cultivated for its profusion of flowers.
More example sentences
- Genera Cytisus and Genista, family Leguminosae: many species and cultivated hybrids. See also Spanish broom
- The borders are pretty much full of the usual sort of things: cherry trees, broom, hawthorn, raspberries, rhubarb, pyracantha, clematis, birch, and like so.
- No flower born in the summertime was missing from it, not even the flower of the broom, the violet, the periwinkle, or any yellow, indigo, or white flower.
- Extremely narrow fairways and tiny greens mean the Scotch broom, beach grass and native rhododendron will snag anything off line.
a new broom sweeps clean
- • proverb People newly appointed to positions of responsibility tend to be eager to make big or far-reaching changes.More example sentences
- They say that a new broom sweeps clean and that's what Ballina Town Council are hoping for with the urban borders extended drastically in January, 2002.
- They say a new broom sweeps clean, but in the case of Naas Rugby Club they are banking on old friends are best.
- Now he has been caught out by the new boss, President Hu Jintao, which proves that a new broom sweeps clean even in China.