Definition of broomrape in English:
A parasitic plant that bears tubular flowers on a leafless brown stem. It is attached by its tubers to the roots of a host plant, which may be any of a number of species.
- Genus Orobanche, family Orobanchaceae
- The broomrapes (Orobanche spp.) are obligate parasitic weeds that cause severe damage to hosts.
- Likewise, the subtree of broomrapes alone does not differ from that of photosynthetic plants in degree of constraint.
- So far, U.S. sunflower growers have not been plagued by broomrape.
Definition of broomrape in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.