Definition of brotherhood in English:
1The relationship between brothers.
- But the truth was that the bond of brotherhood was strong between the two of them that neither could truly deny the other anything, though Will exploited this relationship much more than Eaton.
- Before the end of the film, Chris must come of age, Deel must be slain, and the bond of brotherhood has to be shown to be the most important in the world.
- They are destined to meet again in a confrontation that will test the bonds of their brotherhood.
1.1The feeling of kinship with and closeness to a group of people or all people: a gesture of solidarity and brotherhood
More example sentences
- There is a feeling of brotherhood and affection awakened here.
- In essence most of these religions have the same essence of love, brotherhood and compassion.
- May the hearts of Christians and Muslims turn to one another with feelings of brotherhood and friendship, so that the Almighty may bless us with the peace which heaven alone can give.
2An association, society, or community of people linked by a common interest, religion, or trade: a religious brotherhood
More example sentences
- These ties include family, friends, ethnic groups, neighborhood associations, religious brotherhoods, and hometown networks.
- Basically all those who lived away from the plantations and could claim a small plot of land, membership in a religious brotherhood, or political patronage were considered Forros.
- Do you have to be a member of any sort of organised religion to join the brotherhood?
2.1North American A labor union.
- Thus, activists in the railroad brotherhoods, together with the wives and sisters of organized railwaymen based in the women's auxiliaries, turned their attention to the problem of masculine intemperance.
- Plus, there is a brotherhood in union construction that resembles military comraderie.
- To be sure, there was a range of opinion within the railroad brotherhoods - the rank and file accepted, resisted, and altered the ‘official’ brotherhood message in varying degrees.
Words that rhyme with brotherhoodmotherhood
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.