- A rat found throughout the world, often living in association with man and regarded as a pest. It is commonly kept as a laboratory animal and as a pet, and is also bred in the albino form. Also called common rat, Norway rat.
More example sentences
- Rattus norvegicus, family Muridae
- Only three out of twenty-seven species of mammals in Kuwait are not endangered, and they are the house rat, brown rat, and house mouse.
- Many people mistake the endangered water vole for the brown rat and accidentally poison them or disturb their burrows.
- Originating in Asia and arriving in North America about 1775, the brown rat is humanity's worst animal pest.
More definitions of brown ratDefinition of brown rat in:
- The British & World English dictionary