(also brown-tail moth)
Definition of brown-tail in English:
A white European moth that has a brown tip on the abdomen and is a pest of tree foliage in several areas, including North America. The caterpillars live communally in web tents and bear irritant hairs that can produce an allergic reaction.
- Euproctis chrysorrhoea, family Lymantriidae
- Scientists hope the virus can kill at least 80 percent of the brown-tail moth population in the state.
- These caterpillars of the brown-tail moth are noted for their poisonous hairs, which can cause a rash on contact with skin.
- Gypsy moth caterpillars defoliate trees, bitter-sweet vines strangle native trees, and brown-tail moths pose threats both to trees and human health.
Definition of brown-tail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.