Definition of brownstone in English:
1A kind of reddish-brown sandstone used for building.
- One such stone that played an important role in American culture was brownstone, an arkosic sandstone.
- The Mine Street Mall and a Burger King now occupy sites where huge steam-powered compressors and hoists were once housed in beautifully constructed brownstone buildings.
- As a contributor to the building trades, brownstone quarrying reflected the country's cyclical economic condition.
1.1A building faced with reddish-brown sandstone.
- The entryway of our brownstone was a magnificent piece of workmanship and masonry.
- If the developer decided not to utilize the historic brownstone adjacent to the Club building, he could conceivably avoid a lot of red tape and build a 15-story tower, he points out.
- She thought she was relieved not to be spending the night in the grim, gloomy old brownstone where, she imagined, the ghost of Lionel Luthor still ruled, but the apartment was… disconcerting.
Definition of brownstone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.