Definition of buckwheat in English:
1An Asian plant of the dock family that produces starchy seeds. The seeds are used for fodder and are also milled into flour that is widely used in the US.
- Fagopyrum esculentum, family Polygonaceae
- Increase whole grains such as millet, buckwheat, quinoa, oats, rye and barley.
- Add in the buckwheat, the vegetables and the pain d' épice, and toss lightly to coat, making sure the ingredients are nicely blended.
- Try buckwheat as an alternative source of complex carbohydrates for breakfast or any other meal or snack.
mid 16th century: from Middle Dutch boecweite 'beech wheat', its grains being shaped like beech mast.
Definition of buckwheat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan