- 1An Asian plant of the dock family that produces starchy seeds. The seeds are used for fodder and are also milled into flour that is widely used in the US.
More example sentences
- Fagopyrum esculentum, family Polygonaceae
- Increase whole grains such as millet, buckwheat, quinoa, oats, rye and barley.
- Add in the buckwheat, the vegetables and the pain d' épice, and toss lightly to coat, making sure the ingredients are nicely blended.
- Try buckwheat as an alternative source of complex carbohydrates for breakfast or any other meal or snack.
- 2 (in full buckwheat tree) see titi2.
mid 16th century: from Middle Dutch boecweite 'beech wheat', its grains being shaped like beech mast.
More definitions of buckwheatDefinition of buckwheat in:
- The British & World English dictionary