Definition of buffalo berry in English:
1A North American shrub with silvery twigs and leaves and edible berries. See also soapberry.
- Genus Shepherdia, family Elaeagnaceae: two species, the western silver buffalo berry (S. argentea), with bright red berries, and the northern Canada buffalo berry (S. canadensis), with reddish or yellow berries
- Specific pigments could be obtained by the various plants: Red was obtained from red osier dogwood, alder bark, buffalo berries, squaw currants, viburnum drupes, wild plum fruits, or bloodroot.
- He cites references back to 1841 that state that buffalo berry was widely grown.
- In the West, buffalo berries or bull berries, chokecherries, currants and elderberries prevail.
1.1The berry of the buffalo berry shrub.
- Shepherdia berries, otherwise known as buffalo berries, are not ripe in the valley yet.
- Seed pemmican had the addition of wild cherries, saskatoon or buffalo berries added to the meat and fat mixture.
- Some examples of berries that grizzly bears like include buffalo berries, blueberries, huckleberries, cranberries, saskatoons and crowberries.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.