Definition of buffer zone in English:
1A neutral area serving to separate hostile forces or nations.
- Since then, UN peacekeeping troops brought to the island following intercommunal fighting in 1963 have patrolled a buffer zone separating the two communities.
- In 1975, the island was partitioned into Greek and Turkish territories separated by a UN-occupied buffer zone.
- The French troops withdrew, leaving a buffer zone separating the north and south and set up elections in order to form a government in the south.
1.1An area of land designated for environmental protection: oyster harvesters are not allowed in certain buffer zones
More example sentences
- The project spans eight countries, from Mexico to Panama, and seeks to blend existing parks with buffer zones and protected corridors, creating a web of biological passages that will allow species to migrate from one area to another.
- As Bob Phelps mentioned, the size of the buffer zone separating GE and non GE crops on farms is contentious.
- The plan divides the waterway into four major sub-areas - the protection zone, buffer zone, exploitation zone and reserve zone.
Definition of buffer zone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan