Definition of bufflehead in English:
- Bucephala albeola, family Anatidae
- Neophytes at duck identification often confuse a bufflehead with a male hooded merganser when the latter's crest is raised showing a large patch of white feathers.
- And wigeon and scaup, teal and shovelers, buffleheads and a few mottled ducks.
- The sea ducks - common golden-eyes and buffleheads - are up in central Alaska.
mid 17th century (in the sense 'simpleton'): from obsolete buffle 'buffalo' + head. The current sense (mid 18th century) may be an independent formation because of the duck's large square-shaped head.
Definition of bufflehead in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.