Definition of building block in English:
1A child’s toy brick, typically made of wood or plastic.
- These are quite old fashioned toys, like wooden building blocks, wooden yachts and so on.
- In the Mendelson hall, for example, there is a box of Lego and another of wooden building blocks.
- It consists of seven boxes that purport to contain sets of the popular Lego brand plastic building blocks.
2A basic unit from which something is built up: sounds are the building blocks of language
More example sentences
- When I was going to those places, sometimes I would have to take what would roughly equate to an infantry section, which is the basic building block of a military unit.
- This was important to physicists because all the basic building blocks of matter are fermions.
- Again, the conclusion is that there is a rather small region of parameter space in which the basic building blocks of chemical complexity can exist.
Definition of building block in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan