Definition of building block in English:
1A child’s toy brick, typically made of wood or plastic.
- These are quite old fashioned toys, like wooden building blocks, wooden yachts and so on.
- In the Mendelson hall, for example, there is a box of Lego and another of wooden building blocks.
- It consists of seven boxes that purport to contain sets of the popular Lego brand plastic building blocks.
2A basic unit from which something is built up: sounds are the building blocks of language
More example sentences
- When I was going to those places, sometimes I would have to take what would roughly equate to an infantry section, which is the basic building block of a military unit.
- This was important to physicists because all the basic building blocks of matter are fermions.
- Again, the conclusion is that there is a rather small region of parameter space in which the basic building blocks of chemical complexity can exist.
Definition of building block in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.