Definition of bulbul in English:
A tropical African and Asian songbird that typically has a melodious voice and drab plumage. Many kinds have a crest.
- Family Pycnonotidae: several genera and numerous species
- However, I stray from the purpose of our trip: birds, which were no less alluring than all the scenes mentioned above, with names such as leafbirds, bulbuls, coucals, laughingthrushes, babblers, sunbirds and junglefowl.
- Of the songbirds, the light-vented bulbul was a symbol of longevity thanks to the white cap on its head, which gave it the appearance of a white-haired old man.
- Flocks of wintering water birds include the thrush, the kingfisher, the robin, the shama, the barbet, the bee-eater, the flycatcher, the sunbird, the bulbul and the drongo.
Mid 17th century: from Persian, of imitative origin.
Definition of bulbul in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.