- The sport of baiting and killing a bull as a public spectacle in an outdoor arena.
Bullfighting is the national spectator sport of Spain, and is found also in Latin America and Portugal. Typically, the bull is tormented with darts stuck into its neck, and the matador then baits it with a red cape and attempts to kill it with a sword-blow beneath the shoulder bladeMore example sentences
- Thus, in a remote corner of Medieval Spain, the beginning of what today is the national Spanish spectacle of bullfighting was created.
- The run is a 825-metre stampede from the corral where the bulls are kept to the outdoor bullfighting arena where they will be invariably killed by matadors later in the day.
- There are those who argue that bullfighting is not a sport but a cruel spectacle.
More definitions of bullfightingDefinition of bullfighting in:
- The British & World English dictionary