A stocky Eurasian finch with a short, thick bill, and typically with gray or pinkish plumage, dark wings, and a white rump.
- Genus Pyrrhula, family Fringillidae: several species, in particular the common P. pyrrhula, the male of which has a black face and pink breast
More example sentences
- Nearby, the rough grass and scrub contain large stands of teasels and thistles, which provide seeds for finches - goldfinch, chaffinch, bullfinch, brambling and siskin are frequent winter visitors.
- Every month, RSPCA inspectors in Rochdale receive three or four reports of greenfinches, bullfinches, linnets and goldfinches being trapped and caged before being sold to breeders.
- Other species in danger are the brown hare, skylark, linnet, reed bunting, tree sparrow, grey partridge, bullfinch, song thrush and grass-wrack pondweed.
Definition of bullfinch in:
- The British & World English dictionary