Definition of bullfinch in English:
A stocky Eurasian finch with a short, thick bill, and typically with gray or pinkish plumage, dark wings, and a white rump.
- Genus Pyrrhula, family Fringillidae: several species, in particular the common P. pyrrhula, the male of which has a black face and pink breast
- Nearby, the rough grass and scrub contain large stands of teasels and thistles, which provide seeds for finches - goldfinch, chaffinch, bullfinch, brambling and siskin are frequent winter visitors.
- Every month, RSPCA inspectors in Rochdale receive three or four reports of greenfinches, bullfinches, linnets and goldfinches being trapped and caged before being sold to breeders.
- Other species in danger are the brown hare, skylark, linnet, reed bunting, tree sparrow, grey partridge, bullfinch, song thrush and grass-wrack pondweed.
Words that rhyme with bullfinchgoldfinch
Definition of bullfinch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia