Definition of bumper in English:
1A horizontal bar fixed across the front or back of a motor vehicle to reduce damage in a collision or as a trim.
- After a year, the Ford Aspire had minor changes done in that included new front and rear bumpers, headlamps, turn signals, tail lamps, and wheel covers.
- This airbag is deployed from just above the front bumper when a frontal collision is imminent.
- Usually such damages will weaken the bumper's ability to absorb the shock of collision.
2 archaic A generous glassful of an alcoholic drink, typically one drunk as a toast.
- He who drank a bumper on his knees to the health of his mistress, was dubbed a knight for the evening.
- On my way home I stopped in at the tavern and drank a bumper of whiskey, something I had not indulged in for the last five or six years.
- There are whole pages full of Masonic toasts from which the presiding officer could select, and after every one of which a bumper was drunk by the Brethren present.
adjectiveBack to top
Exceptionally large, fine, or successful: a bumper crop
More example sentences
- In many areas, this year's bumper crop means exceptionally high removal of nutrients.
- There were thousands of acres [of wheat] sown in our vicinity this fall and prospects for a bumper crop are fine so far this winter.
- Hopefully we will have a fine weekend and bumper crowds.
- Very close together, as cars in a traffic jam.Example sentences
- Traffic was bumper-to-bumper after police closed part of Ribbleton Lane and Deepdale Road, near the prison, and also St Mary's Street, off Ribbleton Lane.
- Both the morning and afternoon races witnessed the closest bumper-to-bumper action that the S championship has seen so far in 2005, with similar starts but very different endings.
- Usually on any working day the traffic moves bumper-to-bumper.
Words that rhyme with bumperdumper, gazumper, jumper, lumper, stumper, thumper
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.