Definition of bumpkin in English:
An unsophisticated or socially awkward person from the countryside: she thought Tom a bit of a country bumpkin
More example sentences
- Also included in the mix are the two comic country bumpkins, stereotypical toothless hillbillies with their pipes, dilapidated hats, and cargo of farm livestock.
- The Chinese also have a familiar term for what we would call a hick or a country bumpkin, and that is a xiali Ba ren, literally, a ‘villager from Ba.’
- It's funny, but even now in 2002 some people still cling to the idea that we are some bunch of country bumpkins, when the reality is that we are probably as clued up as anyone in Scotland.
late 16th century.
- Example sentences
- Ernie's slow drawl and grounded certainty are a good counter point to Steve's bumpkinish demeanor.
- Despite his slightly bumpkinish exterior, Li is actually a fearsome fighter with his Staff.
- Next, a bumpkinish cop, annoying his dozing partner, is shown playing with his radar gun.
Words that rhyme with bumpkinpumpkin
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan